Pittsburgh PA: Art students working on a prokect in Frick Park - 1952. The park was created after a gift was made to the city of Pittsburgh by Henry Clay Frick. When he died in 1919, Frick bequeathed to the city 151 acres south of his Point Breeze mansion, Clayton, and provided a $2 million trust fund to help create the park and assist with its long-term maintenance. The city began moving in earnest to create the park in 1925, when it acquired 190 additional acres, presumably with the goal to create a park of similar size and scope to Schenley and Highland Parks. The park officially opened in 1927.