Pittsburgh PA: View of the Pennsylvania Railroad Station yard - 1950s. The PA Railroad was a very good customer of Brady Stewart Studio until they hired their own photographers in the 1960s. The Union Station building was designed by Chicago architect Daniel Burnham and built 1898–1903. Since this facility connected the Pennsylvania Railroad with several subsidiary lines, the company renamed it to match other Pennsylvania Stations in 1912. The restoration of Union Station in the mid-1980s converted the office tower into apartments, and is now called The Pennsylvanian which opened to residents on May 23, 1988.