Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
1953-Pittsburgh-Airport-gates.jpg
Pittsburgh PA: View of the gates and terminal at the Greater Pittsburgh Airport. In 1944, Allegheny County officials proposed to expand the military airport with the addition of a commercial passenger terminal in order to relieve the Allegheny County Airport, which was built in 1926 and whose capacity was quickly becoming insufficient to support the growing demand for air travel.  The new airport, christened as Greater Pittsburgh Airport opened on May 31, 1952. The first flight occurred on June 3, 1952.