Pittsburgh PA:. The Penn Avenue and 17th Street Incline near Shantytown - the Strip District of Pittsburgh 1930. During the depression, the area from the PA RR Station to the 17th street bridge was called Shantytown. Father Cox, a local priest, helped the residents through food kitchens and highlighting their plight. Brady Stewart photographed the area for the City of Pittsburgh.