Pittsburgh PA: View of the Jones and Laughlin's Steel Mill in Hazelwood right across the river for J&L's South Side works.
Jones and Laughlin Steel began producing Steel in 1886. They constructed one plant on the South Side and one plant across the river in Hazelwood. The company built the Hot Metal Bridge to connect the plants. They shipped raw materials (pig iron) from Hazelwood over to the blast furnaces on the South Side.
J&L merged with Republic Steel in 1984 to form LTV Steel. The factories closed for good in 1997.